The aims of the World Schools Debating Championships are:
- To achieve excellence in debating
- To encourage debating throughout the world.
- To promote international understanding.
- To promote free speech
In order to further these aims, all participating countries agree that:
- The team of any participating country may be required to debate any issue.
- The team of any participating country may be required to debate against the team of any other participating country.
- The team of any participating country is entitled to take part in the Championships on the same basis as any other participating country’s team.