- This event has passed.
Harvard College World Schools Invitational 2021
19 Mar 2021 @ 10:00 am - 21 Mar 2021 @ 8:00 pm GMT
|1st||Eton Armstrong & Battula & Chang & Robson||Eton||Finals||Finals|
|2nd||TeaCan Chang & McKellar & Ni||Team Canada||BC||Finals||Finals|
|Semifina||USA Gold||NSDA Team USA||TX||Semifinals||Semifinals|
|Semifina||NSDTea Soysal & Perin & Murray & Richards & Patel||NSDA Team USA||TX||Semifinals||Semifinals|
|Quarterf||TeaEng Manoj & Hussain & Factor & Chau & Dallas||Team England||Quarterfinal||Quarterfinal|
|Quarterf||USA Red||NSDA Team USA||TX||Quarterfinal||Quarterfinal|
|Quarterf||BOW Lafferty & Paliwal & Zhang & Bansal & Gopal||BOW||CT||Quarterfinal||Quarterfinal|
|Quarterf||FDTAca Chu & Lu & Lu & Oh & Yue||FDT Academy (HS)||BC||Quarterfinal||Quarterfinal|
GA LINK FOR ALL BRIEFINGS:
Our tournament offers:
The majority of our judge pool is composed of former WSDC Champions, WSDC National team members, out-round WSDC judges, highly successful British Parliamentary collegiate debaters, and other members of the Harvard College Debating Union who come from highly successful domestic and international backgrounds.
We are excited to announce the prepared motions for the 2021 Harvard College World Schools Invitational!!
- Rounds 1 and 2: THBT the US government should nationalize Facebook and Twitter.
- Round 3 Impromptu Motion: THW include socioeconomic rights (e.g. rights to healthcare, water, and housing) in constitutions
- Rounds 4 and 5: THS the West imposing economic sanctions on Myanmar.
- Round 6: This House supports restrictions on free speech that glorifies right-wing populism.
- Triples: THS a global wealth tax.
- Double Octofinals: THR the celebration of athletes that have a win-at-all-costs mentality.
- Quarterfinals: THP an increase of power of labour unions over comprehensive improvements in labour laws (e.g. raising the minimum wage, extending parental leave).
- Semifinals: THW allocate resources towards adapting to climate change, rather than mitigating/preventing climate change
- Finals: THBT parents should push their kids to achieve, even if that comes at the expense of their child’s happiness.
Competition Rules and Procedures:
In following the spirit of WSDC, all teams will be of 3-5 students. All speakers in a team must be 19 years of age or younger in March 2021. Hybrid teams (i.e. teams with debaters from multiple schools) are allowed, as are independent teams not affiliated with an institution. Novice eligibility shall be defined as competing at three tournaments (including the HCWSI 2021) or less.
All speakers must neither be enrolled in a university or equivalent post-secondary learning institution nor be attending university varsity debating training in March 2021
An eligibility check will be done on each team interested in competing for a berth at HCWSI in the month prior to the event
- Fri, Mar 19th
9am EST – Registration
10am EST – Briefing
11am EST – Round 1 (prepared)
12:30pm EST – Lunch
1:30pm EST – Round 2 (prepared)
3pm EST – Round 3 (impromptu)
- Sat, Mar 20th
10am EST – Round 4 (prepared)
11:30am EST – Round 5 (prepared)
1pm EST – Lunch
2pm EST – Round 6 (impromptu)
5:15pm EST – Break announcement
5:30pm EST – Triples
- Sun, Mar 21st
9:30am EST – Double Octofinals (impromptu)
12:00pm EST – Lunch
1:00pm EST – Octofinals (prepared)
2:30pm EST – Quarterfinals (impromptu)
5:00pm EST – Dinner
5:30pm EST – Semifinals (impromptu)
8:00pm EST – Finals (impromptu)
10:30pm EST – Awards