- This event has passed.
WSDC 2017, Bali
01 Aug 2017 - 11 Aug 2017
Released on 22nd MAY 2017
The prepared motions for the 2017 World Schools Debating Championships in Bali are as follows:
Preliminary Round Prepared Motions:
– This House would make labour union membership compulsory in large industries
– This House would deny tax-exempt status to religious institutions that refuse to appoint female leaders
– This House believes that the NATO Enhanced Forward Presence in Eastern Europe does more harm than good
– This House would ban for-profit universities and colleges
Grand Final Motion:
– This House supports restrictions on free speech to combat the rise of right-wing populism
At this stage, we suggest for teams to prepare the case for each of these motion in either proposition or opposition. The draw and the side of the debate for each team will be only will be finalized closer to the start of the tournament. (Under the WSDC Rules, the draw and sides must be confirmed at least 2 weeks before the date of the first preliminary round.)
For the preliminary rounds, rounds 1, 3, 5 and 7 will be prepared debates. However, exactly which of the 4 prepared preliminary round motions listed above will be assigned to each of those rounds is yet to be finalized.
All other rounds of the championship (rounds 2, 4, 6 and 8, as well as the partial double octo-finals, octo-finals, quarter-finals and semi-finals) will be impromptu debates for which the motion will be released only 1 hour before the debate begins.