- This event has passed.
Public Speaking and Debating Competition 2021
26 July @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm BST
Research, reasoning, and even public speaking skills are just a few of the many benefits that come with learning to be a good debater. From planning your argument – even if it’s one you disagree with – to choose your words with care, debating can prepare you to take on any challenge life may present to you.
The ISA Public Speaking and Debating Competition is a wonderful challenge for pupils to really put their skills and knowledge to the test and celebrate the art of oratory.
The motions for this year’s competition were:
- Should monuments to controversial historical figures remain?
- Should there be limits to free speech on social media?
- Is trial by jury the best guarantor of justice?
Well done to everyone who took part, and congratulations to the winners, Leighton Park School, Cardiff Sixth Form College and LVS Ascot.
• Organisation of presentation including time management: Patrick Cullen, Leighton Park School
• Clarity of communication: Gauri Santhosh, LVS Ascot
• Use of argument: Sylvana, Cardiff Sixth Form College
• Cross-examination and rebuttal: Charlotte Reid, LVS Ascot
• Presentation style: Aiden Shaya, Leighton Park School
• Overall Winning team: Leighton Park School
With thanks to Cardiff Sixth Form College (team 2) for their participation.
Motions for this year were:
This house believes monuments to controversial historical figures should remain.
This house believes there should be limits to free speech on social media.
This house believes trial by jury is the best guarantor of justice